Saturday, December 5, 2015

Sketchbook pages

Railyard Market. Gouache on 5x9 illustration board
Click here to buy

I have started sketching with gouache recently and I must admit.. It has gotten quite addictive. I love sketching everywhere. First one above I did at the farmers market in Santa Fe Railyard district. See more below. I must mention that James Gurney and Mike Hernandez have been great inspirations for sketching in gouache. Check out their work if you haven't already.


Serious Coffee. Gouache on 5x9 illustration board
Click here to buy
I painted this in a local coffee shop in Santa Fe(Iconik coffee). I painted this over a series of 3 days as I had a little more than an one hour after class each day. I added people on different days and everyone was so busy working that they did not notice me. it was really fun to build up this sketch.

Plaza Fajitas. Gouache on 5x9 illustration board
Click here to buy

I painted this in the plaza on a busy sunny day. The fajita stall was popular as I was sketched through lunch hour

Snow Night. Gouache on 5x9 illustration board
Click here to buy

I painted this on the first snow night in Santa Fe this winter. This is the view outside my studio and I painted most of this from my car.



1 comment:

  1. Well, I wondered what you have been up to! I love using gouache, too, and I think James Gurney has some amazing pieces. I'll have to check out the other artist you mentioned. Your portrait work is beautiful. Are you still using acrylics at all?

    ReplyDelete